There are contrarian views but pundits of ‘puss power’ insist that in the contest for the ideal animal companion cats win paws down.
They may seem aloof and guilty of operating to their own agenda but this also means they are low maintenance.
Cats are New Zealand's most popular companion animal. Over 50% of households have at least one cat. The Companion Cats Code of Welfare 2018 provides guidance and legal minimum standards for the care of companion cats.
There are recognised health and wellbeing benefits of having a cat around the house.
- Improve general wellbeing.
- Lower stress and anxiety.
- Lower risk of heart disease.
- Reduced loneliness.
- Improve sleep quality.
- Support recovery from mental illness.
- Increase coping capabilities.
- Purring has a soothing and healing effect.
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this article
Click here to submit your feedback.
Reviewed: July 2022
Next Review: July 2024