It may sound like a comment from Grasshopper, David Carradine, who starred in the 1970s television series Kung Fu. Taking fruitful and positive steps as we grow older absolutely does lead to contentment.
Finding the ‘path’ to achieving contentment has been the focus of many thoughts and writings. Many of these have a spiritual and even religious component but that is not necessarily a pre-requisite for achieving wellbeing.
Case in point, a Not- for-Profit health group SelectHealth looked at a cross section of different advice on what leads to serenity and satisfaction. They summarised the learnings into 7 steps that universally are part of the spectrum of insights and actions on the subject.
- Experience life realistically and focus on what really matters.
- Practice gratitude. A spiritual ‘thank you’ for you and your life.
- Connect with others. Belonging is essential.
- Lend a hand. This gives a sense of purpose and kindness.
- Live in the moment.
- Surround yourself with goodness.
- Be kind to yourself.
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this article & tell us what you would like to know more about.
Reviewed: July 2022
Next Review: July 2024