Text Size
What the latest Government announcement means for our Selwyn communities Find out more

Answering Your Questions

Things to consider

  • At what point should I be considering rest home or hospital care?

    This varies from person to person, but if you or your family members feel that you are unable to cope with some of the basic daily requirements of life like bathing, cooking, cleaning, you should ask your Doctor, social worker or family member to arrange to make a needs assessment appointment. Simply phone your local DHB and ask to speak to the Needs Assessment and Service Coordination organisation (NASC).

    Someone from NASC will visit you to assess your needs and determine if you should be moving into a rest home or hospital for long term care.

  • What type of care can I expect from The Selwyn Foundation?

    The Selwyn Foundation cares about you. We want to partner with you on this next journey of your life to help make it the experience you want it to be. We are working towards providing the best physical environment for you to live, delivering the best medical and spiritual care to manage your health and wellbeing and looking for opportunities for you to continue to engage with your family, friends and life in general. When you join Selwyn, we sit with you and your family to discuss what it is you want out of life and partner with you and your family to help fulfil these wishes. Click here to read about The Selwyn Way – our approach to how we care for all we come in contact with.

  • What staff will you have supporting me?

    You will always have a care partner and nurse available onsite 24/7. Drs, Physio’s, Diversional Therapists and other specialists will be made available as and when you need them.

  • What type of rooms are available?

    Each Village has a range of rooms available to suit your needs and budget.  All rooms include a comfortable bed, wardrobe and at least a wash basin. Some may share bathrooms while others have their own toilets and/or ensuites.

    In all future developments, your room will have its own ensuite including bidet, and a generous wardrobe. It will also contain a smart TV with access to Sky, Netflix and even wifi.

    You are welcome to bring your own personal items and furniture to personalise your room and make it feel more homely. Click here for information relating to specific villages.

  • What facilities and activities are available for my use?

    Rest homes and hospitals in each of our Villages have a range of facilities including lounges, dining rooms, outdoor seating areas, libraries and coffee and tea making facilities. In addition activities coordinators tailor activities specific to the current resident’s wishes.  Click here for information relating to specific villages facilities and activities. In addition to the care homes, in some instances the wider village community has a range of other facilities that residents and their families are able to enjoy. Click here for further information.

  • How do I apply to move in to my new home?

    Once you have been NASC assessed this will determine the care you require and we can advise you of current vacancies at a location appropriate for you.

    If we have vacancies, we will arrange for you to tour the village and facilities and discuss the available services, your health and special needs, funding streams and charges along with Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA), its importance and its activation.

    If we are able to provide you with the care you require and you feel that our facility would be ideal as your next home we will provide you with a contract to review and discuss with your family and/or solicitor.

    Once all contractual matters are dealt with we will set up a meeting with you and your family to discuss the steps to move in.

Your application and costs

  • How are rest home and hospital charges determined?

    Under Section 152 of the Social Security Act 1964, at a national level The Director-General of Health works with regional funder and provider representatives to determine the maximum fees chargeable to those seeking rest home and hospital care.

    Standard daily rates charged by Selwyn residential care and hospital facilities are based on the maximum contribution (including GST) that residents are required to pay for contracted care services under Section 152 of the Social Security Act 1964. These rates are reviewed and adjusted based on annual CPI. Refer to ‘Outlining our care charges’ for current charges. Some rooms may also charge a premium over the standard rates. You can discuss these rates at your meeting.

  • Do I qualify for financial assistance?

    When you were assessed by NASC and it was determined that you required rest home or hospital care, your needs assessor should have provided you with the Residential Care Subsidy application forms. You will only qualify for a subsidy if you meet the financial means criteria. It is important to complete the forms swiftly and supply Work and Income with these, as eligibility for the Residential Care Subsidy can only be back dated for up to 90 days before the date of the financial means assessment application. For the latest information available refer to pages 8 & 9 of the enclosed booklet “Long-term Residential Care of Older People. What you need to know” published by the Ministry of Health.

  • How do I pay the fees?

    We ask that you pay your fees monthly, in advance, by direct credit/automatic payments to the Facility’s nominated bank account. If you require additional services such as hair dressing, special treatments or personal toiletries, private rental and telephone calls, prescription medication not on Pharmac’s subsidised list of medication and the like, you will be charged the actual cost monthly.

    An interest rate of 15% per annum will be charged on any overdue monies from the due date to the date of payment.

  • Why must I have an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPOA)?

    The Selwyn Foundation expects you to have appointed an Enduring Power of Attorney for your property and personal care when you come to live in our community. Once set up, the Enduring Power of Attorney is activated only if a doctor has assessed that you are incapable of making certain decisions for yourself. This is for your personal care and welfare. This practice is also encouraged by the Ministry of Health.


  • What do I bring with me on the day I move in?

    Yourself, your hand bag and a change of clothes. Everything else should already be in your room, ready and waiting.

  • Can I move into my new home on the Weekend?

    Yes, but we need 5 days notice to ensure you have the support you require to move in.

  • Can I bring my pet?

    We want you to feel like this is your home, so we do allow pets. If you wish to bring a pet with you, please discuss this with the manager first. A trial may be advisable before any permanent arrangement is agreed, and it’s important that the pet is accepted by the other residents, staff and visitors. The environment should also suit the pet, which should be compatible with any other animals in the home.

    Families wishing to bring pets for a visit are most welcome to do so, but we do ask that dogs are kept on a leash.

Living at Selwyn villages

  • Will I have privacy?

    We are committed to ensuring that your privacy and dignity are maintained at all times whilst you live in our community. We retain information about your well being and lifestyle needs on file, securely locked. Where information is stored on computer, security of access is ensured. We have a specific, documented protocol for meeting all your privacy requirements, including clinical treatments and procedures, family discussions and any desire for intimacy. Such details are treated as confidential and are viewed only by those responsible for your care.

  • May I come and go as I please?

    This is your home, you may come and go as you please. We do however, ask you to advise a staff member on duty when you plan to go out and expect to return, just so that we can keep a track for you and your family members.

  • May I smoke in my room?

    Residents are able to smoke in areas designated for this purpose. Smoking is not permitted in your room, as this represents a fire hazard. Our concern with smoking relates to the health and safety of other residents and staff and the risk of fire.

  • What type of meals can I expect?

    All meals are cooked on site, and our chef reviews the menu regularly in consultation with a dietician and the Village Manager. We’re always happy to discuss any preferences, special needs, or concerns you may have with the prepared food. You’re most welcome to have a guest join you for a meal at a minimal charge. If you’re planning to be away from the home at any mealtime, please let us know so that we can make alternative arrangements for you to eat earlier or later if you require.

Family and Friends

  • Can I have family and friends stay over night?

    Some of our villages do have facilities for Whanau to stay and those that do, will require you to book in advance.

  • Can I invite friends or family to share a meal with me?

    Absolutely yes. We ask that you just give us 24 hours notice so we can prepare. You may use the facility’s dining room, or alternatively if the village you are living in as a café/restaurant, your friend or family can take you there for dinner. You will be charged for your guest’s meal.