Set in a quiet street in Birkenhead with charming gardens and lovely neighbours, Selwyn House offers subsidised rental accommodation for people over 70.
A community home with 11 independent living suites, Selwyn House is perfect for those on limited means who currently live alone, but would enjoy the company and security of living around others.
Selwyn House offers:
- a single ensuite bedroom wired for telephone, internet and digital TV and including a sink and fridge
- a cooked meal provided daily, and ingredients made available for a continental breakfast and light lunch, as well as tea, coffee and fresh fruit throughout the day
- modern shared facilities comprising kitchen, laundry, dining room, lounge (with TV, Sky, Blu-ray / DVD player and telephone) and garden area¹
- the services of a village support person 5 hours a day (2.00 pm – 7.00 pm, 7 days a week) who will prepare a daily hot meal, undertake cleaning of the communal areas and will be responsible for the general day-to-day operation of the House²
- onsite parking³ and a mobility scooter store with charging facilities and luggage box room
- maintenance and infrastructural services and other operational back-up provided by the village manager and independent living team based at Selwyn Village, Point Chevalier, Auckland
Residents supply their own TV, bed, bedding and other items of furniture they desire for their personal suite (lounge and dining furniture will be available for communal use) and will be responsible for keeping their individual suites tidy and for doing their own personal laundry. They will be expected to look after themselves and support each other, to make their own meals (other than the hot meal provided) and undertake community duties. Residents will have a say in respect of the social running of the house. They will be invited to share in the preparation of the daily hot meal and also encouraged to partake of shared meals together with their fellow Selwyn House occupants.
¹ Existing residents of the Hansen Close independent living villas will also have access to the communal areas.
² Care services are not available; personal alarms, if required, should be organised by the resident at their own expense.
³ A limited number of car parks is available.